Edge rusher Junior Galette is still unsigned looking for a job in the NFL. He has had a couple of visits, including recently with the Los Angeles Rams and Seattle Seahawks to no avail. His unemployment could have been avoided according to him after a snag in negotiations with the Washington Redskins ultimately caused him. Recently speaking with Chad Dukes of 106.7 The Fan, Galette says he turned down a $10 million offer from the Redskins and now in hindsight, regrets his decision.
“My agent and I thought we could get a lot more money on the open market, which I basically regret right now. I should be in someone’s facility right now. It was clearly a bad call,” Galette said in the interview.
The Redskins withdrew their offer to Galette and ultimately signed veteran outside linebacker Pernell McPhee to a one-year deal worth $1.8 million. Galette understood when the move was made that negotiations with the Redskins were closed.
“They brought Pernell McPhee in, who’s a lot cheaper and probably, I guess, around – I wouldn’t say same type of player, but for the role that they need, I guess he could fit it,” Galette said. “They signed that and it basically was kind of me now waiting, thinking that I had the Rams. I thought we had a deal with them, but that never panned out, so here we are. I’m at home now, regretting that I just should have took the Redskins’ deal.
“But me, going into year seven or eight, I’m thinking I’ve never hit the open market, ever. And knowing that I didn’t get a lot of playing time last year, I was bitter about that. Knowing that I felt like I deserved more playing time. But it is what it is right now. You can’t do nothing about that. You just want to move forward and stay ready.”
Galette admitted he has reached out to Redskins head coach Jay Gruden, telling him he regrets not taking the initial offer. Galette said that his last response from Gruden was that the Redskins have five outside linebackers and they’ll contact him if something happens.
Washington just signed outside linebacker Josh Keyes on Wednesday after placing running back Byron Marshall on injured reserve. However, an educated guess is Keyes was brought in primarily for special teams, as he has experience playing there throughout his NFL career.
Galette remains unsigned after three tumultuous seasons in Washington. He signed a one-year deal in 2015 after off-the field issues concerned the New Orleans Saints to release Galette from a four-year contract that was to pay him $41.5 million. Galette wouldn’t touch the field for the Redskins in a regular season game after suffering a season-ending torn Achilles tendon during the preseason. The Redskins re-signed Galette in 2016, however, he would suffer a second torn Achilles during a workout ahead of training camp.
Despite losing Galette to two season-ending injuries without him playing a down, the Redskins re-signed Galette to a one-year deal for the 2017 season. He would record three sacks and force a fumble in limited reps backing up starters Preston Smith and Ryan Kerrigan. There was interest to bring him back for 2018, however, negotiations for regrettably soured for Galette and now he is left looking back.